Monday, July 27, 2015

Review - Memphis @AuroraTheatre #Musical #Lawrenceville


I was given tickets to attend the show and provide my honest opinion.

 It seems most times I go to Lawrenceville for a show at the Aurora Theatre, I end up having dinner at Cosmo's across the street.  Quick and good pasta, I had cheese manicotti.  Yum!

From now until August 30th, the Aurora Theatre, in cooperation with Theatrical Outfit, has begun a run of the musical Memphis.   I have to admit, I really had no idea what I was getting in to when I decided to go.  Based on real life events, we follow a white man as he discovers the music on Beale Street in Memphis in the '50s.  Falling in love with the music, he becomes a DJ and brings it to the white population.  Not always a popular person, we watch as he pioneers music on the radio and Rock'N'Roll in the South and then gets his chance to pioneer TV too.

Part of the show did happen on the very sides of the stages, which made my seating unfortunate, as I couldn't see the performers.  There seemed to be a few problems with the mics as well.  Nothing overly detracting, but I noticed.  I loved the music and the performers, though.  They were outstanding.  While Huey (lead character) was fun to watch, I think my favorite was Gator, a mute who finds his voice.

All together, I think the cast and crew put on a very good show.  It is a long show, though, with the first half running about 100 minutes.  I didn't plan for that, so it was later than I expected when I got home.

I also wanted to mention that the Theatre, working with one of their sponsors HoltKamp and in celebration of their 20th anniversary, are trying to bring in 20 tons of food for the local food banks.  Bring a bag of the listed "most needed" items or a $5 donation to help them along the way and you will be entered to win a trip to San Diego and tickets to the Old Globe Theater.

Here is a list of the basic needs -
Canned: meats (chicken, spam, ham ravioli), soups, vegetables, fruits
Protein: peanut butter, dry beans, tuna fish
Dry: pasta, rice cereal
Paper: toilet paper, tissues, paper towels, diapers
Hygiene: soap, shampoo, toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorant
Cleaning: detergent, laundry soap, new cleaning cloths

No comments: