Thursday, August 30, 2012

Adopt a US Soldier

For several years now I've been working through Adopt a US Soldier to send packages to soldiers serving over seas. I've had soldiers hurt in combat that come home as well as some that get to come home at the end of their tour of duty. Each time, I wish them well and then adopt a new soldier.

It all started ages ago when my sister was first sent over seas as part of Operation Desert Shield. She ended up serving through Desert Storm. I got into the habit of sending her (and anyone else she said could use a package) at that point. Over the years I've either had her give me names/addresses or worked through other organizations to help send packages over seas.
It's amazing the feeling you get when you get a simple "thank you" back via email or postcard from a soldier. I've gotten long letters thanking me for the gifts as well, which are a minor miracle given that these guys rarely have the time to write home, much less write to someone they don't know.

It's very easy to help make a huge difference with these guys. I get the boxes (flat rate military) for free from USPS. Then, whenever I go shopping and have an extra buck, I'll hit the discount racks for snacks, books, or toys and put it in. Once the box is full, I ship it out. Generally, it takes about a month to fill a box and it doesn't kill my wallet in the mean time.

Working with American Heritage Girls, I can also put together a craft for the group to earn either service hours or a badge. I have included those with my packages to the soldiers as well.

It's a worthwhile cause and something to check out if you're looking for a way to make a difference.

No comments: