Monday, August 20, 2007

Melt Down City

I would normally say that the first week of school went well. My children seem to really like their teachers. My son and I have had the argument about homework first before anything else and is working on improving. My daughter hasn't had homework that I've been aware of. She has, though, been having a lot more melt downs than she used to.

She no longer wants to be party to losing anything. Card games, board games, whatever. If she looks like she's losing, she'll either quit or start crying. Her attitude toward me has gotten worse as well. She's regressed to telling me "no". Not a good idea. "No, I won't clean my room." "No, I won't put away my clothes."

Then there's the lack of attention. She doesn't want to listen. If she gets in trouble for something, she'll say "I didn't hear you" or "I didn't understand". I know perfectly well she did. I've started checking to make sure I get 'yes, I heard you'.. but she'll still come back with the other later.

I wish I knew what was going on in her brain. There's no middle ground lately. I can only hope that as she settles in to the new school routine that she adjusts.

Ugh. Here's hoping it happens before mom has a melt down..

No comments: