Monday, January 27, 2014

Kids and Politics - Paging at the Capitol

Most kids are not in the slightest bit interested in politics.  I can't say I blame them, politics annoy me to no end.  However, there is no avoiding them, so they may as well understand what's going on.  It's something we all live with in our daily lives: at work, doing sports, etc.  It's how we work with people and how we get things done.

So, I make sure I talk to my kids about my points of view.  I explain why if they ask (sometimes I explain even if they don't ask).  I've been doing this for a long time. I've had the policy with my kids that if they think of the question, they can ask the question. If they can ask the question, they deserve an answer.  I may edit my answer depending on the question, but I do try my best to answer as best as I can.

The other thing I try to do with my kids is be involved.  They can see how I handle a situation (good or bad) and then they'll know for the next time how to handle it.  

I've taken it a step further with my guys as well.  They see politics on tv, we talk about it at home.  I've had mine involved in paging at the Capitol for the last few years.  Believe it or not, they actually find it interesting and (depending on the day) enjoyable.  We're going back again this year.  It was an interesting response I got, though, when I let my son's HS teachers  know what I was going to do.  From what I can understand, it's a rare thing for students to be exposed to it.  The kids get an excused absence from school, free lunch and are paid ($5/$10) for their work.  Most teachers are eager to get the kids involved and are happy to work with the students to catch up on their return.  So, why not get your student involved?  You can check it out on the state representative web site.  The only problem I have is making sure I have something to do while they're there.

No comments: