Friday, November 11, 2011

Honor your Veterans

Today is Veteran's Day. Whether we realize it or not, we have what we have because our veterans put themselves on the line. I personally have multiple people in my family who have served in one fashion or another. My grandfather was military. My father served in the Civil Air Patrol, my uncle in the military. My sister is military, my brother-in-law is retired. So, when it comes to supporting our military, I'm a little biased.

A little history about this day. It started as Armistice Day, a cease fire between the German army and the Allies. It marked the beginning of the end of World War I. After World War II and the Korean war, the 83rd Congress scratched out the word "Armistice" and changed it to "Veteran's" to honor all those who served. You can read more on the history of this day from the Dept. of Veteran Affairs web site.

If you'd like to help out, you can make a donation (see the right hand column) to donate to Operation Gratitude. They send cards and packages to our troops. If you want a more hands-on approach, contact Adopt a US Soldier. I've been using the 2nd to be able to send packages o soldiers currently serving. It's a wonderful feeling when they get the chance to send a note back letting you know how appreciated it is.

No comments: