Saturday, February 28, 2009

Stuff & bother

I go pick up girl scout cookies today. I have extras if anyone wants them. My daughter and I hope to sell some of the extras to ship to Afghanistan for part of my son's service project. We'll see how that goes.

While I'm out, I'm going to swing by a friend's house and talk to her about home schooling. She's been doing it for a few years now with her son. I'm going to look at her books and see how she came up with her curriculum. I'm considering going to the home school conference in May to talk to folks there too. I have another friend (both through Cub Scouts) that I need to visit at some point as well. I hope to make a decision about next year by the end of May.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't know how the Georgia conference is, but I'll assume it's a lot like the Florida one.

If you've decided by the time you go to the conference, you can shop for curriculum and a billion other goodies from the vendor exhibits.

A lot of the talks are vendor presentations, so you can mostly skip those and get the same information in a brochure or catalog or by actually looking through their curriculum.

We primarily use Stanford's EPGY online program (http://epgy.stanford.edu for math and English. It's expensive, but cheaper than a private school. We only enroll our daughter for part of the year and that's still enough for her to complete more than a single grade level a year with a little push from us.