Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Reflections

What is it about some things that make us reflect back on life? I was watching only part of Psych (at tv show) that was set at a high school reunion. Later that evening, I found myself thinking back to high school. I was an athletic geek who didn't quite fit in. I was accepted by the geeks because I kept up with them, but not totally welcomed. I was accepted by the athletes only up to a point because I wouldn't compete for the high school (gymnastics).

I attended my 10th high school reunion, but found myself pretty well alone. Those that I had once hung out with that attended, I no longer had anything in common with. Only one person there that I knew was I able to carry on a conversation with. So when my 20th reunion came up, I passed. I had no interest in going back and seeing people who I had even less in common with than before.

I can't say I hated high school. I had a great many good times and enjoyed the challenges that I had with the teachers who put them in front of me. I took AP English and History. I was a member of FBLA and the Latin club. I was given a once-in-a-lifetime chance to take part in a program that wasn't continued. Fernbank Science Center supported a program for 10th graders that allowed us to attend Fernbank for half day and high school for the other half. I was able to take computer science, astronomy, chemistry and more. Classes that made a huge difference. I had more friends through Fernbank than I did at my regular high school.

Looking back, I know now that I should have followed up on the option to transfer high schools. I didn't attend my home high school in the afternoons during my sophomore year. Instead I attended one closer to the Science Center. I believe I'd have been a lot happier and my reunion would have been more successful.

As to the reunion I did attend, it wasn't unenjoyable. I just could have found better things to do with my time.

Post a Comment