Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Reflections

What is it about some things that make us reflect back on life? I was watching only part of Psych (at tv show) that was set at a high school reunion. Later that evening, I found myself thinking back to high school. I was an athletic geek who didn't quite fit in. I was accepted by the geeks because I kept up with them, but not totally welcomed. I was accepted by the athletes only up to a point because I wouldn't compete for the high school (gymnastics).

I attended my 10th high school reunion, but found myself pretty well alone. Those that I had once hung out with that attended, I no longer had anything in common with. Only one person there that I knew was I able to carry on a conversation with. So when my 20th reunion came up, I passed. I had no interest in going back and seeing people who I had even less in common with than before.

I can't say I hated high school. I had a great many good times and enjoyed the challenges that I had with the teachers who put them in front of me. I took AP English and History. I was a member of FBLA and the Latin club. I was given a once-in-a-lifetime chance to take part in a program that wasn't continued. Fernbank Science Center supported a program for 10th graders that allowed us to attend Fernbank for half day and high school for the other half. I was able to take computer science, astronomy, chemistry and more. Classes that made a huge difference. I had more friends through Fernbank than I did at my regular high school.

Looking back, I know now that I should have followed up on the option to transfer high schools. I didn't attend my home high school in the afternoons during my sophomore year. Instead I attended one closer to the Science Center. I believe I'd have been a lot happier and my reunion would have been more successful.

As to the reunion I did attend, it wasn't unenjoyable. I just could have found better things to do with my time.

1 comment:

Marcos said...

So, wait, your high school mascot was V in a Pirate outfit? :)

I haven't been to any high school reunions, and don't have any overwhelming desire to do so. There are a few people I'd like to see again, most of them teachers, a few students, but overall I'm just as happy to leave high school in the past. What's amazing to me is how important all that stuff seems at the time and how little it matters 20 years later.