Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Sewing Foibles and solutions

I'm still learning how to use my sewing machine. I thought I was doing pretty well until this past week when I tried to make a patch blanket for my son. He has a lot of patches from Cub Scouts and instead of a vest, we decided to put them on a blanket. I managed to break 2 needles in the space of an hour in order to sort-of get 8 patches on.

So, I went out to my women's networking group: Women of Gwinnett and asked if anyone could fix my errors. I got a response from Estelle Combs and she immediately set to work. After a day she had removed my work, fixed my errors and gotten all of the patches on the blanket. After Cub Scout camp, she's going to come over and teach me how to properly use my sewing machine. Something I've wanted to do for a while, but haven't had the chance to do anything about.

She's also offered to teach my son and daughter how to sew. I know how to sew by hand, but my carpal tunnel doesn't let me do it. Especially not long enough to teach my children. So, many thanks to Estelle for her hard work. I'll let you know how sewing classes go.

1 comment:

Lone Butterfly said...

I can't wait to hear how sewing class goes. The Caterpillars take class at the JoAnne's Fabric in Snellville, and have really enjoyed it.

B10 said he wants to move on to the second level class and learn to make purses (for his Aunts for Christmas).

I would love to hear how your kids enjoyed it (especially your son).