Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Neurologists and Carpal Tunnel

I visited the neurologist's office yesterday to confirm that I had carpal tunnel in my right hand/wrist. He had the response times measured in my nerves going from my shoulder to my wrist, my elbow to my wrist, and just around my wrist. This involved putting sensors on my hand and then putting an instrument at various points on the main nerve and then shooting a bit of electricity into me to see how fast it travels. It is rather painful (not horribly so, but uncomfortable anyway) and also disturbing to watch my hand jerk and twitch when I didn't tell it to.

After about 30 minutes of this, the doctor checked the results out. I came out with only a mild abnormality result. So, they took it to the next step. A needle to "listen" to the nerves in my muscles to see what sort of responses they'd get. This part I REALLY didn't like. They took a small needle and poked my arm at various points (shoulder, elbow, wrist, hand) making me flex the area in question. The hard part came when she rotated the needle around the area (in search of the nerves and such) while the muscle was flexed. This flat out hurt and left bruises on my hand. Ugh.

End result. I have carpal tunnel but not severely enough for surgery (yet). I suppose this is a good thing, but the testing really bites.

1 comment:

letti said...

ugh, that didn't sound good. It's like they acupunctured you. I'm glad that it's mild though, and nothing too serious. Anything to do with nerves is never fun. Hope it heals well.