Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Frustration

When I signed up to be a Cub Scout leader, I had already committed myself to two other events. Namely the Atlanta Heart Walk and the Disney 1/2 Marathon. I was glad that I had another mom agree to be a co-leader so that there would be someone to lead the meetings on the dates I wouldn't be there. Well, Sunday she had her first chance to lead the boys. I had given her the plans that she needed to follow (what sections of the Cub Scout book to follow) so that the boys were on track. I checked with her (multiple times) to make sure she was comfortable with leading the boys. I also asked to make sure she understood what was needed. I even gave her an out if she wasn't comfortable that we'd reschedule the meeting. She agreed to everything. Apparently, absolutely nothing I gave her happened. In fact, a parent that was there informed me that my co-leader said she didn't know what she was supposed to do.

So, now I'm not so sure about her leading the January meeting. I'm hoping maybe I can get my husband to help and maybe see about getting a "guest leader" for the den.

More than anything, though, I feel sorry for the boys that went to the meeting expecting to work toward their Wolf Badge that didn't accomplish anything.

2 comments:

DD said...

Wow...maybe the solution is to get an older scout to take on the job to earn his merits?

...and...how come in Boy Scouts, women are Den Mothers, and in Girl Scouts there are no Scout Fathers?!?

Ashley said...

An older scout would be a Den Chief. He couldn’t “lead” the meeting, he can only help. I’m hoping to get one of those, but I have to wait until the boys finish den chief training. I’ve gotten my hubby to start taking leader training too, so maybe he can step in if needed (he’s so thrilled). 

They’ve actually changed the name from Den Mother to simply Den Leader. All that PC stuff, ya know. ;)