Saturday, October 07, 2006

What have we done?

I was talking this week with some other substitute teachers. We were discussing some of the issues kids have that affect them in school and how it shows when they're in school. We notice something's up by kids' behavior. So how do you know what's wrong or if it's anything fixable? A lot of times it's social pressures from their peers. Who has what, does what, goes where, etc. You have to wonder what's going on in a kid's brain when they come in in the morning for class, you say "Good Morning" and they give you a look that suggests there might be an underlying meaning. Or they look suspicious because you're just saying 'hi'. What has society done to the kids that they can't just be kids? It's sad to see what they're going through and knowing you can't help. I have to admit, I'm glad I'm not in school these days. I wouldn't want the pressure they're under.

No comments: