Saturday, July 15, 2006

Atlanta Olympics Anniversary

With Atlanta celebrating the opening of the new Olympic museum and having a big celebration downtown at Centennial Olympic Park this evening, I thought I'd share some photos. I was able to work during the 1996 Olympics at the Olympic Village. As such, I was able to get some great photos of the village itself, the athletes and more. The selection I've made are of some of the construction, the village and a couple of the athletes I got to meet. A lot of the photos I took of athletes were of their backs so that I could see what country they were from.

I have to say that it was a great time. I got to meet, trade pins with and even eat with some great people. I did get to go to a few events (baseball, archery, gymnastics) too.

If you'd like to view my selection of photos, you can find them in my gallery.

Technorati Tags:
, ,

1 comment:

TexSport Publications said...

Great photos. I was in Atlanta for the Games. Your blog brought back many memories from1996.

It was the first Olympics for my daughter (now 18). She had a tremendous time.

She will be leaving in about 12 days to represent the Gulf Region (Houston, Gulf coast region of Texas) at the Southern Zone Championships at the Olympic Pool at Georgia Tech.

Her and I saw a water polo game in the same pool during the 1996 Olympics. Time does fly. It seems like those Games were only yesterday.

Are they planning any celebrations for the 10th anniversary?

Again, thanks for bring memories back from that time.

Your photos are excellent.

Take care,
Robert H. Kelly
Editor/Senior Writer
TexSport Publications
http://texsportpub.blogspot.com
texsportpub@houston.rr.ccom