Friday, March 11, 2005

For the Birds

Since I'm a teacher's assistant now, I thought I'd share a couple of the things the kids did/had this week for their "bird" week. For our "water" or "sensory" table, I picked up a bunch of colorful feathers, some moss, hay, fake eggs, and small birds (like you decorate with). They could then make their own "nests" and act out birdy lives.

For the project/art side, we made bird feeders. I picked up pine cones from my yard (they need to be open, not flat), got peanut butter (creamy), bird seed, and yarn. I tied a piece of yarn to the top of the pine cone so that it could be hung outside. The kids then smeared as much peanut butter on the cone as they could. When they finished that, they rolled it in bird seed. VOILA! Instant bird feeder (or squirrel feeder).

Next week's theme: St. Patrick's day.

2 comments:

Darlene Schacht said...

That sounds so cute, thinking of the little kids making their craft.

My son would have been dead within minutes (he is deathly allergic to peanuts). I find it odd that when I was young hardly any kids had allergies, and peanut butter and jam were a common lunch snack. But now, there are so many allergies.

letti said...

sounds interesting! i love bird feeders..have several of them in my yard and love seeing the different birdies come get their seeds..i'm sure the kids will have oodles of fun.