Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Yoga

I have to recommend this form of excercise to everyone. I've tried it before and enjoyed it, but this time around I'm noticing a big difference. My knee was blown out many years ago. As a result when there's a weather change, it aches. If I overwork it, it aches. It's at least partly why I like doing the marathons now. The yoga helps me to stretch it gently and ease the ache. It's helping my over-all flexibility too. While it can be tiring (I'm usually ready to stop about 2/3 of the way through), when I get done I feel much better about myself. I'm not saying stress is gone or that it's a cure-all, but it seems that the day looks much better and I feel more like I can handle whatever happens for the rest of the day.

If you do decide to try it, there are several forms. The one I take at my local YMCA is a collection of styles put together for all levels to enjoy. There's Hatha Yoga (I've done this one too) and Pilates (haven't tried this one). I'm sure there are other styles too, so I'd suggest trying several forms to find both an instructor you like and a form you like.

2 comments:

Darlene Schacht said...

I have never tried Yoga before, but I am getting to the point ~ perhaps because of my age ~ where I feel the need to tone up, but mostly feel good about myself.

letti said...

i'm trying pilates right now..all because i'm vain and want to look good for the wedding..*smiles*

as for doggie, he has MORE misadventures than he has adventures..*laugh* but we love him to bits.