Sunday, February 13, 2005

Blogging for Books

From The Zero Boss -> "For this Blogging for Books, write a blog entry (2,000 words or less, please) about a time when you took a risk in your life on someone or something - a new romance, a new career, a new home, etc. Were you successful beyond your wildest dreams - or did you crash and burn?"

First I have to define risk. Risk, as given by Microsoft.com, is the exposure to the chance of loss. Generally speaking, I?m not one to take what I would consider to be a large risk. I?ve certainly never had the circumstances occur in life which would affect a life or death decision, or the potential for either. In fact, for the most part, I?m considered a relatively boring persona when it comes to taking risks.

That having been said, life is in itself a risk. Every decision you make can in some way result in loss. Whether it?s the loss of money (even minor), loss of time, loss of friendship, you name it, you can lose it. When you make a decision, it is a risk. If you look at life that way, then I take as many risks as everyone else. My risks, though, generally don?t have as high of a potential for loss.

I decided when I was in labor with my son that because of heart rate issues I needed a C-Section. I decided in high school that the man I?d met was the person I?d marry (and I did). I?ve made many other ?momentous? decisions in my life, though the most recent risk I have taken I started in January of 2004. I decided at that point that I wanted to try to help bring in money to help pay off bills. I hate debt with a passion. I love being home with my kids even more. I had to weigh my options for helping with the debt against not affecting what I love doing. After a lot of thought, I became an Educational Consultant with Discovery Toys.

I did all the things that a new Consultant is supposed to do. I had two different grand openings, multiple open houses, and I talked to everyone I possibly could. I put out spare catalogs at all the local day care centers. I stopped in at the majority of the local churches and left information about doing fund raisers (toy raisers as the company calls them).

After a while of getting little to no response, I placed ads in the local news paper. I contacted all the local MOMS clubs I could and placed ads with them. I listened in on multiple training calls. I attended all meetings that my team leader held. I even headed out for convention to be able to talk to everyone who?s been in my shoes.

As you can see, I put a lot of time, effort, and, in the long run, money into getting my business started. Unfortunately for me, all of this did not amount to much. I held a few parties last year. I had 2 toy raisers for my daughter?s school, one of which did well, the other did not.

I haven?t given up on this business but the initial results on this are poor. Some would say I?m simply having a hard time getting started, some would say I?m just doomed. I would say it?s a good side business, but shouldn?t be my primary means of adding income to the family.

It has, though, had a great side effect. I love working with kids and teaching them new things. I?ve always wanted to work as a substitute teacher, but was convinced I needed to wait longer until my children were older before I got started. Working with the toys put me in constant contact with teachers that had turned to Discovery Toys. I appear to be going the other direction. I?m with Discovery Toys and now I?m embarking on becoming a substitute teacher.

You can say that because my business did so poorly I turned to being a teacher. Or you can say that because of the exposure that came through my business I finally took the chance to do something else I?ve always wanted to do.

1 comment:

Lilly said...

The best paths tend to be the ones that develop naturally, sort of zig zag around as they find their way. How wonderful that you have found something new to be excited about doing!