Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Investing in my kids #college #collegefund


I want to state up front that kids don't have to go to college to have a great career.  However, some fields do require that extra push to get a good placement.  That said, when my guys were little, my husband and I started Coverdell savings accounts for them for college.  We didn't invest a lot each month, but it was something.  With rising college costs, I'm really glad we did it.

For both of my kids, they take care of tuition.  Husband and I will do room/board while they're attending.  For my son (at KSU), this has worked out well.  After Hope, his spending account will cover almost all of the tuition he has to pay.  For my daughter (at GCSU), hers won't last quite as long. Primarily because her tuition is a bit higher than her brother's.  She also is receiving the Hope.

Both keep looking for additional scholarships to assist in the fees.  My son is caught in the catch-22 that is you can't get a job without experience, but you can't get experience without a job.  Daughter will have a problem with the job thing as she's a Theater major which means a lot of time spent with rehearsals and such.

At any rate, as a recommendation to friends/family/readers with young ones, invest in the savings account.  Even if they don't go to college they could go to a trade school.  The funds will go a long way to either..

No comments: