Thursday, March 19, 2015

Starting my seeds for my vegetable garden #containergardening

I finally decided that it was time to start some of my seeds. I have a large selection of choices of either heirloom or non-GMO seeds to play with. I've been saving toilet paper tubes to give me my "pots". I used a shoe box as the base, lined it with aluminum foil, and put my seed starters in that.  I also found some seed pots at Dollar Tree that I mixed in as well.



The one green starter I have is vanilla.  I purchased it from EPCOT's The Land in January.  I'm hoping it does as well in a real pot of soil as it did in it's little jar.


I covered everything in plastic wrap for a couple of reasons.  1) It helps keep the cats out.  2) It has in the past been recommended to me to help maintain the moisture for the seeds.  We'll find out if it's a good idea or not.  The box has a home on some shelves in my sunroom.  So everything will get indirect lighting.

The last one is an egg carton that was left over.  The seeds are labelled by column and I'll cut it apart when they're ready to be planted.

No comments: