Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Disaster preparedness - check your cabinets @SaveTheChildren #BePrepared


On the anniversary of Hurricane Sandy's landfall, I thought I'd share a bit more with you about disaster preparedness.

I'll admit, I'm not the best at preparing in advance for most things.  I have, however, developed a means of keeping items on hand so that if something does happen, we're at least mostly prepared.  Just for example, I have a supply of bottled water on hand at all times.  Now, it doesn't sit there just taking up space.  It gets used (usually by my son and I at karate) and it gets replaced.  I also am big on stocking up on canned/dry goods.  It makes meal preparation considerably easier when I don't feel like preparing, but it also becomes my emergency supply.  I have first aid kits everywhere: in my car, in my bedroom, in my kitchen.  I have to replace supplies on those regularly (which is a good thing) but they are ready to go.

Fortunately for me, my kids are now old enough to know the plans without having to do too much teaching or reminding.  They each have cell phones with family member numbers plugged in.  They both know what they're allergic to as well.  When they were younger, we kept the plans simple and easy and just reminded them on a regular basis.  It's probably time for us to go over it all again, though.

I also have a large supply of pet food on hand.  It's not easy to transport, but it's stored in a dry container.  I also have milk jugs that I've saved to fill with water for the pets in the event of emergency as well.  This keeps their supply and ours separate so I don't have to worry about having someone go thirsty.

If you'd like an easy check list to follow, you can find one on the Save the Children website:
www.savethechildren.org/checklists

No comments: