Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Review: The Tales of Edgar Allen Poe


Thanks to the folks at Brave PR, I was able to take my son to see The Tales of Edgar Allen Poe at the Center for Puppetry Arts. My son read Tell-Tale Heart and The Raven through school recently, so I thought it would be a good match up for us.

The show runs through several of the more famous of the stories as well as some of the lesser known: The Raven, The Tell-Tale Heart, The Bells, The Black Cat, The Cask of Amontillado, Berenice, The Oval Portrait, M.S. Found in a Bottle, and Lenore. We were given the option to go during the week, so I purchased an additional ticket for my daughter to go as well. A note up front that this is NOT a show for the younger kids. My daughter was probably borderline as far as age appropriateness.

In a way, my son had a hard time tracking the stories as they transitioned between them. They would start with one story, transition to another story and then return to the first. It made the show interesting, but if you weren't familiar with the stories you might not catch the changes. It was also interesting that they used a combination of live actors and puppets to tell the tales. When they started Tell-Tale Heart my son started and told me he knew that one. He was happy he actually remembered having read it and liked the show. I don't think my daughter really appreciated the show as much. She appreciated going, but we had to have a discussion about Poe in general on the way home for her to appreciate the stories.

We were there at the same time that 8th graders from another school were there. They had a hard time settling down for the first part and again toward the end of the series of stories. It made listening to the show a challenge and somewhat hard to enjoy. For those bringing families, you may want to keep that in mind when attending during the day. Poe will run through March 2nd, you can check their web site for ticket information.

No comments: