Monday, October 22, 2012

Monday Musings

This school year has been a major struggle for us. We got off on the wrong foot with my son and had to play a major catch up game. By mid-terms we found out that my daughter had slipped as well. We caught up and thought we'd get the second half of the semester off to a good start only to hit another road bump. I won't call it major, but it seemed so at the time. My kids aren't monitoring their work well and apparently I'm inept at following up. A couple of the teachers are good at giving me a quick heads up on issues, but others not so much. It's to the point where I'm contemplating if it's all worth the effort.

We moved from GCA last year for a couple of reasons. One being that I wasn't able to support my son's accelerated math curriculum. Another that I had started work (part time) and I found it hard to juggle both. A third, and rather major one, was that I plan to have my kids attend a regular brick and mortar high school. This was to be a transition especially for my son back to that point. I've had it pointed out to me that maybe the transition is as much for me to relearn how to deal with "regular" teachers and schools as it is for the kids.

So, I'm working on my research into our options. I've plugged in with the cluster superintendent and the local HS principal to get information about the zoned HS. I've plugged in with a mom I haven't spoken to in a while who has students attending our zoned MS. So far she's been pleased with the programs they've been offered and has had no problems. Since I unplugged as a substitute teacher, I'm trying to work on reconnecting to other sources as well. Maybe our area is improving enough where I can actually consider sending my daughter to the local MS next year. I don't know. It's all very fluid at this point.

No comments: