Monday, February 13, 2012

#Flawless12 If I couldn't Fail...

Growing up, I don't remember how many times I changed my mind as to what I wanted to do. If I remember my first "firm" decision, it was to get into computers and travel to Germany. I did go to Georgia Tech and graduated with a degree in Computer Science, I haven't gone to Germany yet.

I thought for a long time that I'd like to be a teacher. After my kids were old enough, I did teach a 4yo pre-k class briefly. I then moved to being a substitute teacher in my area. That made me realize that full time teaching might be a bit much, but doing it temporarily works for me. I haven't been a sub for a while now, but I may eventually go back.

I wanted to get into documentation that would explain things to folks(I really like the "For Dummies" books). I did get a certificate in technical communication, but I didn't get into writing. Instead, I got into the online/phone help business (first at Georgia Tech, then at Hayes, now at GCA). Sometimes it's just easier to show than write, so this works.

I'd love to write children's books, or do illustrations. I haven't had the time to practice my writing (except here on the blog) and my drawings are doodles. Maybe I'll get into it, I just haven't had the time to work on it.

As to doing anything and not failing.. so far I haven't "failed" in anything I've done. I've set it aside for later pursuits, or given it up because I was done with it. But failure is not an option, I may not be able to go as far as I'd like, but that's not so bad. It just gives me the next thing to work toward.

1 comment:

CG said...

I adore how you said you "gave up because you were done with it" which in essence is NOT really giving up. You got what you came for and it is no longer needed. Brilliant post :)