Monday, October 03, 2011

Legislative "Did you Know" - Mississippi and more

Did you know that Chairman Rehburg had created a DRAFT OF LABOR, HEALTH AND EDUCATION APPROPRIATIONS BILL? I know all of us are watching the government to see what they'll do about our current recession and budge issues. Whether or not you're playing close enough attention, though, remains to be seen. I've tried to wade through a lot of the one sided debates on issues to find someone that puts it all into a fairly clear statement. I found this by Congresswoman DeLauro on her website.

I have to say I don't see the point in a lot of these cuts. I know we're hurting for funds, but things like launching a full blown investigation into Planned Parenthood isn't the way to go. Linking the ability for organizations to provide services that many may not agree with, should not hinge on their using NON FEDERAL funds for those services. The states cannot afford to step in and fill in the gap that PP is providing, so while they can regulate them, they cannot afford to force them to cease. We have other battles and concerns they should be focusing on.

How about making sure the soldiers over seas come home? How about cutting the salaries of our government officials? (I hardly see that happening.)

Of course, on top of that you have things like this being voted on in Mississippi. Really guys? Do we have to go there? I have many friends on both sides of the fence on this one, so I won't even try to debate my side. I'll simply state that I believe in choice up to a point and medical necessity and leave it at that.

So, how close are you watching your representatives? Are you really paying attention to things they're adding on to regular legislation?

No comments: