Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Georgia Cyber Academy

It's official. My children were given seats for the 2010-2011 school year at the Georgia Cyber Academy. I sort of posted this on facebook, but until I got the official email and info from GCA, I wasn't going to blog about it. While my children will be at home while at school, it's NOT home schooling. Their schedule will be relatively flexible (both have to attend a certain number of hours each day), I can have them start in the morning, take a break and finish in the afternoon. They will have to work with a teacher, though not necessarily in person. They will have text books (provided by the academy) that they will work out of. They will also use their computers.

It is a Georgia chartered public school, so there are no fees involved. It's accredited through the state, so I don't have to worry about placement if we move or change schools again. Of course, if we move, the school moves too, which works for me.

As a result of this, though, I won't be able to be a substitute teacher. It's all in the trade offs and compromises.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We got a seat this year too! It's my first time though with GCA :)

Super Mom said...

How did it work out for you? It is so great to see others talking about GCA. When I started three years ago there was nothing to help assure me.
http://hucksrule.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Hello fellow mothers! I'm in the processing part of the paperwork for GCA, I'd like to know how you feel about this program and do you also see your children learning more than being stuck in class with little assistance amongst 20 other children, 15min recess 1x a day, and 20min lunch not allowed to talk! Schools have turned into military facilities!

I appreciate your opinion and advice! Thank you!