Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Boy Scouts

I officially filled out the paper work this week to transfer my son from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts. It's a somewhat scary thing for me, but he's excited. So much so that he's signed up for his first 3 Advance-a-Ramas already. His first topic of choice for his first Merit Badge is electronics. For his second, he's looking at Reptiles and Amphibians. I forget what he'd selected for his third. It's all good, though.

He's going to start going to church on Wednesdays with a friend of his. The church has a mission group for kids that meets that night and it'll be a good way to get started on service hours. My daughter will go as well, but hers will count toward American Heritage Girls.

My son has also (at least for now) signed up for his first sleep-away camp. The troop will be going out to Skymont in TN this summer. He's signed up to go. He has until February to make a firm decision since that's when I make a down payment on it. For now, though, he's in.

As is usual for my son, he's taken a flying leap into what interests him. I'll give him a lot of support since once he's made a decision he sticks with it. As for me, I've been recruited to help the Troop as well. Amazingly (ha!) enough, I'm to be an advisor for the web site. There will be a boy webmaster, I'll just guide and help as needed. After all, it's a boy-run organization with adult guidance.

No comments: