Thursday, October 22, 2009

School Uniforms

When I heard the my kids' school was going to uniforms, I was on board with that. I thought it was a great idea, especially since I knew what the kids had been wearing. What I saw at the beginning of the year was that a majority of the kids showed up in uniform, with only a few hold outs. Now, those hold outs were new students or kids who hadn't heard about the uniform before school began. As the year has progressed and the students have learned that there is no penalty for NOT wearing their uniforms, I'm seeing increasingly more students NOT wearing their uniform. Now, my opinion is if you're going to have a dress code (and especially a uniform) you need to enforce it. It doesn't help when the kids overhear teachers saying that they don't like the uniforms because they can't tell the students apart easily. Well DUH! That's the point. I understand we're at a Title I school. This should be taken into consideration with a uniform allowance or whatever is necessary to help out the other students. What my point is is that either the school needs to rethink it's rules, or it needs to enforce what it has. Just my 2 cents.

No comments: