Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Ripley's Aquarium

It was PACKED when we went in. I'm glad we didn't go on a rainy day, you wouldn't have been able to move. I'll admit, I'm very spoiled when it comes to Aquariums. I was able to identify a good number of the fish in their exhibits without looking at the labels (so proud of myself). For once I didn't wear my volunteer t-shirt, I did that at the Mote but I don't think with all the people it would have stood out.

I realize none of my photos were of fish, but that's because they didn't come out. Ripley's does have a tunnel with a moving sidewalk where you can see barracuda, sand tiger sharks, sand bar sharks, nurse sharks, grouper, eel and misc other fish. They have a touch pool full of horse shoe crabs. Now, I'm not sure I agree with their policy but apparently you can pick up the crabs and turn them over (out of the water). I didn't let my kids do that as I really don't think it's a good idea. They also had a ray touch pool. They have cow nose, southern sting ray and eagle rays in theirs. It's also harder to access the fish.

At any rate, it took us about an hour to work our way through with the crowds. For the price, it's worth the U-pick-it combo ticket.

No comments: