Friday, January 09, 2009

Review: Bedtime Stories

I took my kids this past Sunday morning to the early show. They had arguments about whether to go see Tales of Desperaux or Bedtime Stories. They finally semi-agreed on Bedtime Stories. It's a cute movie. It wasn't quite what I expected, but then I don't know exactly what I did expect.

The movie was two tales in one that were intertwined. One story is about the niece and nephew, their mom (a school principal) and a fellow teacher. Their father has left and their school is being torn down. The other is the uncle (Skeeter) who works as a maintenance man at a hotel. Skeeter's father originally owned a motel that was purchased and redeveloped into a hotel. The children's mom must leave them with Skeeter for a week to go on interviews. Skeeter, on the other hand, is trying to figure out how to move up in his world. Skeeter has no experience with kids, but remembers his dad telling him bedtime stories as a boy. So when it's time for bed, he creates new stories for his niece and nephew. The twist is that the portions that the children put in "come true". Though, the actual implementation of those portions can be unexpected (and humorous).

My daughter wasn't sure she wanted to see the ending, but decided she really liked it when it was over. My son told me it was "a great movie". Now he wants to see "Race to Witch Mountain" which Disney is putting out later this year. I think first I'll have to get hold of the original movies and have him watch those.

1 comment:

letti said...

ooo i remember watching the original escape to witch mountain as a little kid with kim richards and the cute little boy. Those were classics :P