Tuesday, October 07, 2008

My last den meeting

After worrying about just how many boys might show up at my den meeting this last Sunday, I had 8. Two were new. One was recruited from the school last week, I think he's a keeper. His mom is one of those that's offered to help out. The other is one my son recruited. I think the boy is eager to participate, I'm not so sure about the mom.

I knew the boys in the family are Jewish, I didn't think anything about it. I found out Sunday that the mom is a Jehovah's Witness and she would NOT come into the church to pick up her son. She sent in her older kids. In a way, I felt sorry for her older son (her youngest is the one in my den). He was having to act as a go-between for his mom and I. I couldn't leave the boys, she wouldn't come inside. He wanted all the info now, which I didn't have on hand. I'll have to get it to her (or him) at some point later. I have a feeling that he won't be around much.

The boys seemed to have fun, though. We played a few question/answer games that were timed. The winning team got a prize (big bouncy ball), which they thought was good. The non-winners wanted to know when we'd play again so they could win. :) After that we went outside and played marbles. The parking lot wasn't the best surface to play on, but when I was setting up, I didn't know if inside would be big enough. The boys didn't seem to mind overmuch.

Next week is a community service project instead of a straight forward den meeting. I think we can handle that.

No comments: