Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Sales Tax Holiday

I know that if you think about it, the sales tax holiday isn't necessarily as good of a thing as you might like. It is however, worth noting that some things might be worth the effort. The Sales Tax holiday for Georgia is scheduled to be July 31st-August 3rd. I'd watch the sales, though, before planning to shop. Some companies have school supplies on sale at better prices with tax than you'll save on the holiday without.

For clothes, I love to shop for clothes at the big Kidsignments sale. It's not tax-free, but I like the bargains I can find. It's a gently used clothes, toys, etc sale held out at the Gwinnett County Fairgrounds. I'm going to clean out some stuff and sell them this year. The sale runs this August 19th-23rd.

For appliances, I'll have to wait until October. The energy star tax incentive days run Oct. 2-5. I hope to be able to get a new dishwasher then. I'll probably look at stoves/ovens too, but that may wait a while longer.

Note that both of these sales tax holidays are only exempt from STATE sales tax, not local. Something that'll catch you if you're not watching for it.

No comments: