Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Fine Motor Skills

My daughter is aparently one of those kids who's brain develops much more quickly than her motor skills. She's very advanced for a kindergartener. Unfortunately, her patience level when it comes to doing things that challenge her fine motor skills is not the best. If she can't do it first try, she wants to give up. She can easily write most things, even if it's not totally neat. But cutting, folding, buttoning, etc. can be a challenge. Which means she doesn't want to do it. She's not particularly interested in writing.

So, to give her a challenge without her realizing it, I got her a set of special stationery and pens to write letters to family members. She can practice her handwriting without knowing she's doing it. (Mail man must be able to read what she writes, or he can't deliver the letter.)

I'm going to get some of the patterned scissors to encourage her to make new an different pictures. I'm also going to get her a child's sewing kit. It'll be something new for her to try and she can help me fix the toys that get torn. I'll let you know how things work out.

No comments: