Saturday, June 17, 2006

I've been certified!

Whoopee! I got the certificate today. My back yard has been certified by the National Wildlife Federation as a Wildlife Habitat. I've got signs on order to put out in my yard to prove it, too. :)

I can honestly say that we have bluebirds, chickadees, sparrows, finches, woodpeckers and more birds with homes in our yard. We also have squirrels, chipmunks, frogs and snakes. We used to have turtles, but I haven't seen them in a while. I have to be careful, though, as there are stray cats that wander through.

In my yard I have a suet feeder, a cage feeder, thistle seed, a rotating feeder and a generic feeder on my porch. I regularly scatter food for the squirrels as well. I have a creek, which is where my frogs are. I've seen redtailed hawks flying through my yard (and in my trees) as well as had an owl outside at night. Given that I live just off of Jimmy Carter Boulevard, I think it's quite an accomplishment.

Technorati tags: ,

1 comment:

letti said...

yay!!!! We have a purple martin house and we've had lots of them this year..hopefully we're making a difference in keeping them abundant!