Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Where children are taught to read

I took my daughter to a "Getting Ready for Kindergarten" class at my son's elementary school last week. They took her to a classroom with other kids and the parents to a room. The parents got a lesson on nutrition and getting kids to read. One of the assistant principals stated that kids are NOT taught to read at school, but at HOME. IE: Parents read to children as much as possible, asking kids to find words (or letters) they can recognise and expanding from there. It was an interesting concept. True, I've been reading to my kids since they were born and my daughter can already read basic words. I'm a big promoter of books. The other parents were mostly hispanic. The AP didn't care if the kids learned to read in spanish, english, or any other language. The importance was emphasized on having parents read to/with their kids.

No comments: