Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Waiting

While I wait for my background check, the new class schedule and my volunteer schedule, I'm back once again to aquarium trivia.

Today's subject is...

Beluga Whales

Beluga whales are an artic/subartic species. They range in size from about 3m to 5m in length. Males being larger than females. The babies are born a dark gray and gradually become white as they get older. They lack a dorsal fin (fin on their back) as this would impede their swimming under the ice. Unlike the whale shark, they are expected to live only about 25-30 years in the wild. They are opportunistic eaters, feeding primarily off the bottom (squid, snails, clams, etc), though they will hunt schooling fish. The world population of belugas is estimated at being around 62000 to 80000.

Thanks to the Sea World web site for my info.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope you enjoy It Only Takes A Moment! It's fun to see the cover there!