Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Do you have this?

My house has become something of the neighborhood child gathering center. I don't mind, but it's very interesting. Especially as I have 3 large dogs. Admittedly, 2 of them are 11+ years old, the third though is only 6 and has "no manners". Now, for family she's well behaved, but as soon as someone new (or that doesn't know how to react) comes in, she'll jump up. If you lift your knee and she jumps in to it, she'll learn quickly that you know she's not supposed to jump. I mention this as at least 2 of the kids that come over are afraid of dogs. My son (6yo) runs interference for them, usually locking the dog up, or at least getting her out of the way so that they can pass through.

Anyway, my son is in kindergarten, my daughter is 3 (almost 4). The kids that come over are 2nd, 3rd and 5th grades. They all ride the same bus. They all seem to enjoy playing together. It's great that my kids have friends, but I find myself running low on juice boxes and snacks very quickly.

Their newest game is to have the smallest drive the battery-powered jeeps and my son will put on his skates and get pulled along. They've also pulled the wagon behind for the ones that are too big to fit the jeeps. Quite a sight to see. Only 2 of the kids have the ability to use a pogo stick. My son is a lightweight. It takes the overweight 2nd grader to be able to use it.

I have to monitor their play as the older guys have more 'abilities' than the younger (namely my daughter). They've been known to ride the jeeps into the street (we have crazy drivers go through or neighborhood). We have a metal swing set that one of the support/brace bars is bending slightly as the bigger kids love to climb on it. They've split the slide too. :(

One noticeable problem we have is that the other kids are older and have later bed times. My guys start winding down about 7, the older kids probably not until 8. My guys are in bed no later than 8:30. I don't know the other kids bed times. So about 7p (esp. on school nights) when the others start moving to another home, my guys have to stay here. It gets a little upsetting for them that they can't go, but my son realizes that when he's older he'll have more flexibility as well. When summer hits, it won't be as bad, though.

Anyway, if you could see my kids' faces when their friends come over and play, you'd know that while the above can be annoying (the swing set is still sound, the split on the slide is not where anyone will get hurt), it's not as major as I make it sound. It just means I check on things on a regular basis and curtail anything that might otherwise break something I don't want broken.

So do you have this (it's not really a problem, more of a condition)?

No comments: