Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Volunteering at the Georgia Aquarium #update

After much thought, I decided to resign from volunteering at the Aquarium.  For the last couple of years I haven't enjoyed working on the floor at the Aquarium like I did when I started.   I have enjoyed working with the Education department (a work week based commitment) and as an Ambassador (seasonal for festivals, and not always a lot of shifts).

The past couple of years I haven't been able to make the minimum required number of hours (100).  This year, they actually enforced the rule that if you don't make minimum, it's a $60 charge to re-up (includes badge, etc)*.  Given that I've been focusing on being a substitute teacher, thus taking away my time during the week to volunteer, and that on the weekends I'd rather spend the time with my family, it means I wouldn't likely make the hours this year either.  I didn't want to pay $60 this year to not make hours and have to pay $60 again next year.

So, after 12 years of volunteering it seems weird to not work on scheduling myself in to volunteer, but I'm sure I'll find something else to do with my time instead.

*When you sign up to volunteer, there is a $60 charge to cover your badge, first uniform shirt, and background check.  You are required to maintain 100 hours minimum/year to remain on "good" standing.  Otherwise, you have to pay the $60 again.  All of this is stated up front when you sign up to volunteer.

No comments: