Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Cooking fun

I baked a semi-from-scratch rum cake Sunday (thanks Suzanne for the recipe) for my husband to take to the Cub Scout Pack meeting/party. I wasn't sure how it would be received and had hoped I'd at least get a taste when I returned from the Cookie Rally. Much to my surprise, the entire cake had been eaten.

There was a Christmas party last night at the dojang to go with belt presentation. I volunteered to make mac & cheese, figuring it'd be easy and the kids would eat it. I ALWAYS come home with leftovers. That didn't happen last night. I was even complimented by one of the boys who said it was the best mac & cheese he'd EVER had. This wasn't from 'scratch' per se either. I took cheap noodles, velveeta cheese and milk. Voila. Mac & Cheese, with no leftovers.

I have to admit, it's nice to have my cooking appreciated every once in a while. Admittedly, I take as many shortcuts as I can now. I used to take the time to cook quite a bit. Something about having kids who were extremely picky and no time to try to cook finally killed my incentive. Now that they're older, though, they're more willing to try new stuff. Of course, my policy is still "If I make it, you try it. If not, go hungry." It saves a lot of arguments that way.

2 comments:

Lone Butterfly said...

I'm going to rat out your hubby...there was a 2-3 inch wide slice left after everyone had eaten, he had it on the plate as the last few of us were cleaning up...

Me thinks he liked it so much he ate it before he got home! :D

letti said...

awww that is so sweet of them. I never cooked before i met my husband, and when we got together and gotmarried, i had to learn to cook, and made all our meals. Even disastrous ones at first. But he always says "thank you honey for dinner, it was great", and it makes me melt every time :)